This workshop is being offered to the public for the first time on Vancouver Island on August 23 in Campbell River and is a rare and unique opportunity for those interested in gaining valuable insight and effective consultation strategies to working effectively with Aboriginal Peoples.
Indigenous Corporate Training Inc has taken their classic Aboriginal cross cultural awareness training program, Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™ to get beyond Aboriginal awareness to practical skills and tools that can be applied during engagement and consultation efforts. With some tried and proven approaches, individuals and organizations can position themselves to lead consultation efforts.
This course takes the information learned in the Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™ introductory session and provides the opportunity to use the information in interactive exercises that foster learning from doing, and from others.
Purpose of the Workshop:
- Provide information to help participants with their engagement and consultation efforts,
- Support appropriate cross cultural communications,
- Learn to apply the RESPECT model learning in the introductory Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™,
- practice conducting Risk Assessment using the Risk Assessment tool provided in the introductory Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™
- Share experiences and learn from others,
- Raise awareness of best practice for strengthening relationships during the consultation process.
Who should attend?
- Anyone needing to fulfill legal and regulatory requirements for consultation
- Line managers,
- Project managers,
- Communications staff
- Aboriginal Relations or Affairs staff
- Community Relations staff
At this course you will:
- Review and build on the elements of consultation
- Know the difference between Consultation vs. Engagement
- Learn the intent of consultation
- Review what constitutes Accommodation
- Review ways we can strengthen our consultation practices
- Become familiar with the use of the Risk Assessment Tool
- Prepare for questions they will ask you
- Know how to deal with issues related to western science and traditional ecological knowledge
- Practice protocol and interactions
Prerequisites: Previous Attendance in Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™ or completion of Working Effectively with Aboriginal Peoples™ online.